Jan 27, 2009

Of Ang Pau and Blessings

I realised that nowadays, especially this year, what with the economic crisis and all the chaos around the World, everyone is tighting their own pockets, which means here that the amount of money that one can find in ang paus reduced.

Well, i heard complains and all from people that this year they did not receive much for Chinese New Year, though it is only the second day of the festival. Omigosh, that shows that people nowadays can be really money-minded and that's something that the society should be concern about. People are getting greedy, senseless over money. Or, is this the time when the phrase, "Money drives a man crazy" is to be used?

All these while, the amount of money in my red packets did not really matter as i always took all of these as a sign of blessing. This year i particularly feel that this is something that is right. Chinese New Year's eve, i received numerous wishings from all my friends and my teachers from high school. To me, though they are just SMSes but they are still wishes and blessings, especially from my high school teachers. All of these meant alot to me.

Then comes the Ang Paus. Every ang pau i get i take it as a blessing given by the Elders. Their blessings is what really counts not the money. If they gave me RM1 or RM0.50 in a red packet, i would gladly take it as it is a form of blessing. i know that in some parts of China, as i was told, the children received only 1 yuan for Chinese New Year,which is equalevant to our RM 1 for years and they are happy.

Here i felt that sometimes if the amount of money in the red packet is not to the children's liking, they will just chose to ignore that particular giver sometimes. People are getting really money-minded/obesses with money. A sign that the true value of Chinese New Year is no longer there. i always believe that no matter how One is modern, he/she must still go by the rules of their culture. This is something that i see many are relectant to do. For example, usually the first and second day is reserved for the family, but i see my cousins going in and out of the house, without giving a damn to this. Well, maybe their families have different practices but mine for sure, will never allow me to do that one the 1st to 3rd day, which is normally reserved for my Paternal and Maternal sides, not to mention, also my Godparents.

i should not be critising anyone but this year's Chinese New Year, for me, is abit lonely and the family warmth and togetherness weakens as everyone go their own separate ways in Life.

No comments: